Monday, December 3, 2012

Loose Knit

Prompt: How did you respond to Theresa Rebeck's play Loose Knit? What moment in the play did you like the best and why? How would you describe your attitude or feeling toward Rebeck's representation or sexual relation and marriage? What scene or moment in the play was least satisfying or troublesome for you and why? You should include images of Loose Knit or of Rebeck's or of the figures or situations similar to the themes of the play. Don't forget to embed link. 

    I was required to go see a play for Loose Knit for my TA-10 class. Although viewing theatrical performances isn't something that I have been into, I can definitely appreciate a good play. I enjoy stories that focus on human interaction and relationships since I am personally and naturally a people person. 
A cover which illustrates the knitting that the characters practiced in this story

    The first play I saw for this class, To Kill a Mockingbird, was free but this time I had to pay $10, which sort of bummed me out. Nevertheless, I will say that Loose Knit was quite enjoyable; the humor that the cast actors employed in their performances was a great addition to this play. 

    A young and talented cast for Loose Knit at Wagner College
    My favorite moment from this play was also the scene in which Rebeck conveys her message on marriage and sexual relationships. The message that she conveyed suggested that perhaps marriage and committed relationships aren't necessary in this world. Surprisingly, I can relate to this idea because I have always seen relationships in one light: they always end. Although a fair share of couples end up to be life-time lovers, the majority of committed end in a break up. Additionally, this scene included Miles and Bob conversing about how relationships heavily depend on your social status, another idea that I totally agree with.

    Watching this humorous play by Rebeck was extremely relatable to my life. I have built my life around the amazing relationships I have built with my close family members and my friends. A common theme and motif in this adaptation of loose knit was the importance of friends. Commitments and relationships were portrayed in a negative light while fun and 'loose' friendships were championed. This thought and concept raises the question of whether it is even necessary to make relationships a priority in one's life when all you need is friends....

    Loose Knit had me smiling and laughing and thinking about my own life throughout most of the performance; I occasionally found myself assigning characters to people in my life who I felt I had similar relationships with. The cast members were all cool and funny. However, with every great work of art comes a great or minimal amount of flaws and drawbacks. One thing that bothered me about this play was how it was performed at a thrust spacial theater. The benefits of a thrust stage is that you are allowed to be closer to the cast members which makes it much more personal; however, the characters often moved around and faced in different directions which threw me off to a certain extent. This was something that isn't too big of a flaw since it can be changed by relocating the performance to a different arena.

   Overall, I would have to say that watching this play has made me like theater a lot more. A young, energetic and humorous cast group could be a reason as to why, but overall I really enjoyed this adaption of Theresa Rebeck's Loose Knit. 


http://www.wagner.edu/departments/theatre/communitynews/looseknit

No comments:

Post a Comment