Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Wild Duck


1) Choose a character from The Wild Duck. Assume you are performing this character in a production of the play. Apply Stanislavsky's theory of acting to your performance of the role. Identify a quality or experience unique to the character. How do you represent that quality, that feature of the character that motivates the character's actions or way of responding to his or her situation? You apply "emotional memory." You identify in yourself some experience in your life that resembles that of the character and you build the character's emotional life around your ability to recall your own similar emotional experience. You expand your capacity to empathize with the character you are playing. So: identify a character, identify a scene or moment in the play that reveals a quality peculiar to the character, and then identify a experience in your own life that clarifies for you how to play the role.

     Gregers Werle is arguably one of the most important characters in Wild Duck. One of the qualities that he possesses, is his idealistic morals and ways of interacting with other characters in the story. Being an idealistic person carries the connotation of being kind, just, and a seeker of the truth. Having to act as this character in a play would require a calm and composed personality along with characteristics of kindness and enthusiasm.
Gregers in a scene from a movie enactment of Wild Duck

    I can say from personal experience, that my family is extremely important to me. For a good majority of my life, I have lived solely with my mother, father and my only brother. Although my brother has had rifts with my parents and tried to leave home, I have never come to that point of wanting to not live with my family. Therefore, if I were to put myself in Gregers' position, I would perform with emotions of humility upon my return to my father's home. The fact that it was a self-imposed exile, as opposed to his family banishing him, forces Gregers to swallow his pride.
   
    As mentioned in the previous paragraph, I have never had to return to my family after leaving home, but I have had to deal with compromises with my parents. I have also had to deal with conflicts and differences that we had in order to make sure we could move forward on good terms. Usually, when I am in this sort of position, I am for the most part obedient. Authority figures do not intimidate me, but I definitely respect their approach and understand the way in which I am allowed to treat them. This is the reason that I would have to play Gregers' role, with an element of humility and respectfulness.
Gregers appears as a person who attracts the respect and acceptance of low class people. His character as an idealistic person appeals to my persona
    
   Stanislavsky's theory of acting is an encouragement to use your personal experiences in the way you portray a character. For example, someone who plays as Jack in Titanic, would have to carry himself the same way he did when he was in love with a woman from his own life. Using this approach, I would play as Gregers by remembering all the times I had to make up to an upset girlfriend, or appease a disappointed mother, or make amends with an angry best friend.

   I have been involved in spoken word poems. I have also done comedy stand ups. However, I have never taken, or even considered, the opportunity to embody myself into a fictional character and play as their role. This is something that sounds interesting to me, and because of my involvement in TA-10, I may take on the theatrical  role as kind and good hearted man.


http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=114743

1 comment:

  1. Hello Wamiq,

    I like your last two entries. They are thoughtful and written with a degree of care that I appreciate, even though I am not sure that the key to Greger’s personality lies in developing the attributes of kindness and humility, for he is actually rather self-absorbed and overestimates his own capacity for good deeds as well as others’. Still, you may have a way of understanding the character that would come across distinctively and beneficially in performance. Your Loose Knit entry is also good, although I had to read it by highlighting it, because the text is submerged in darkness and otherwise not legible without the highlighting. I like your point that Rebeck stresses the importance of friendships over deep romantic commitments. But the play also shows that friendships become implicated in romantic and sexual entanglements. So the separation is not altogether decisive.

    Karl

    ReplyDelete